The Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana scheme is launched for providing maternity benefits by the government. The scheme was introduced in the year 2017 and implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Welfare. It’s a cash transfer scheme for pregnant women of 19 years of age or above. Partial wage compensation is provided for wage-loss during childbirth and child care. It provides conditions for safe delivery, good nutrition, and feeding practices. The amount of money given is 6,000 rupees. The scheme is implemented in almost 53 selected districts.
The beneficiaries of the scheme will get incentives under the Janani Suraksha Yojana for the purpose of institutional delivery. The incentive is provided for the first child of the family and for fulfilling the specific maternal and child health conditions. The scheme enables to reduce the maternal and mortality rate in a particular state.
OBJECTIVES OF SCHEME [PRADHAN MANTRI MATRU VANDANA YOJANA]
To provide compensation in regard to wage loss during delivery and child care.
To improve health-seeking behavior among pregnant women and lactating mothers.
To provide financial assistance to women.
To reduce the maternal mortality rate.
To decrease the infant mortality rate.
To ensure a hundred percent institutional deliveries of children belonging to BPL, schedule caste, and tribe families.
BENEFITS OF THE SCHEME [PRADHAN MANTRI MATRU VANDANA YOJANA]
a) Cash is provided in three installments to the pregnant women.
b) All the investigation and delivery of the child is free of cost.
c) The financial help will enable to improve the health of mother and child.
d) The cash will be provided to women immediately at the time of delivery and later also.
e) Women both from the rural and urban areas are under the scheme.
f) Pregnant women belonging to BPL families and are aged 19 and above and prefer to deliver at home only, will be provided with a cash amount of rupees 500.
g) Poor women is being the main beneficiary of the scheme who belong to BPL families.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA OF THE SCHEME [PRADHAN MANTRI MATRU VANDANA YOJANA]
The mother should get the entitled money at the health care center immediately.
Pregnant women of both urban and rural areas are eligible for the scheme.
Women belonging to the BPL families will get benefits from the scheme.
In LPS states BPL families women whose delivery is conducted at home will be given cash of rupees 500 per delivery.
The cash help is provided for only two live births.
NECESSARY DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
BPL ration card
Janani Suraksha Card
Delivery certificate issued by a government hospital
Bank account number and passbook
Passport size photographs
STEPS TO APPLY ONLINE [PRADHAN MANTRI MATRU VANDANA YOJANA]
Official website – https://wcd.nic.in/schemes/pradhan-mantri-matru-vandana-yojana
- Visit the official website of the ministry of child and women welfare.
- Click on the option to register for the scheme of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana
- Then, fill the application form displayed on the screen.
- Fill all the necessary details required like name, village name, address, etc.
- Submit the application form for further process.
It’s a safe and secure motherhood program under the National Ministry of Health Mission. The scheme helps to promote the safe delivery of a child and improve the health condition of both poor women and children. A cash subsidy is provided to women at the time of delivery and later also. The government also wants to promote and encourage the delivery of children in government hospitals.
BENEFICIARIES UNDER THE SCHEME
• All the pregnant women delivering in government hospitals, primary health centers, or community health centers.
• Women belonging to BPL, schedule caste, and schedule tribe families.
Under this scheme, health conditions will be improved by mother and child. Financial assistance provided by the government to poor women will improve their living conditions. The cash incentive will enable the family to take care of the child’s requirements in a proper manner. The scheme implementation is in all the states, union territories, and in low performing states as the main focus of the government to improve the conditions there. Pregnant women are registered in a government hospital for her delivery under the scheme.
IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE SCHEME
• It’s a central government-sponsored scheme.
• It provides financial assistance to pregnant women at the time of delivery and later on also.
• The scheme is identified under ASHA i.e. Accredited Social Health Activist which is considered to be an effective link between government and pregnant women.
• The scheme focuses on poor pregnant women and on the states which have low institutional delivery rates.
• The scheme helps to decrease the rate of maternal and infant mortality rates.
• The focus is on the low-performing states like U.P, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Bihar, etc under the scheme.
• The other states have been referred to as high performing states.